While I’m a big fan of Pandora and, more recently, Spotify, I also enjoy creating playlists for all occasions. Much like my penchant for just the right crib sheets, I also find I’m fairly particular about which song best fits the moment.
Today’s playlist is best suited for the morning hour. I imagine pressing play whilst sipping a warm drink in a favorite chair with a journal, Bible, or favorite book– before there are any pattering of footsteps in the house besides my own.
The first few songs are instrumental favs, helpful in gently transitioning from slumber to a new day. The rest speak of peace in the midst of trouble, the beauty of creation, the transient nature of our days, and two dollar shoes. All words to cling to as you set forth into the wide world.
And, I threw in a little U2. Because it’s U2, people.
A Playlist for the A.M.
(With Links for Sampling)
- Baleen Morning by Balmorhea :: Could listen to Balmorhea anytime, any place
- River Flows in You by Yiruma :: A new fav pianist
- The Aviators by Helen Jane Long :: Haven’t heard anything I don’t like from Ms. Long
- Dawn by Dario Marianelli (from the Pride and Prejudice Soundtrack) :: A stellar soundtrack
- All Creatures of Our God and King by Chris Rice :: As an aside, I’d recommend his Living Room Sessions for events such as showers, church group gatherings, and labor & delivery
- House of God, Forever by Jon Foreman :: Lead singer of Switchfoot, did a sweet set of solo albums
- Your Love is Strong by Jon Foreman :: A good one.
- 2 Dollar Shoes by Rosie Thomas :: Heard this song right after Hubs proposed to me at sunrise on a beach, so for me it will forever be associated with the morning.
- Captivated by Shawn McDonald :: Love this guy’s stuff, thanks to Justin for introducing me to it many years ago
- C.S. Lewis Song by Brooke Fraser :: She’s pretty great in all kinds of ways. Get the Live at the Aotea version.
- Beautiful Day by U2 :: Because it’s true, today is beautiful. Keep telling yourself that until you believe it. Or go to bed early and start over again tomorrow.
Just FYI, while music choices are intensely personal, I’d say this list is pretty kid-friendly in terms of content.
Do you have any favorite songs to start the day to?